COVID-19 vaccine for children 5-11yrs - If your child is scheduled for a well visit in the upcoming weeks they will be offered the vaccine at that time, if you would like to bring your child in for a shot only appointment please call our office to schedule. Shot only appointments are available Monday-Friday from 8:00am - 3:45pm. We anticipate being able to obtain the supply necessary to meet the needs of our patients moving forward. Please check back regularly for updates.
COVID-19 vaccine & boosters for 12+ - As of 4/20/22 we will no longer be administering COVID-19 vaccine to patients 12 years and older. Vaccines are still available at most area pharmacies.
COVID-19 follow up care - The AAP has recommended that children ages 5 years and older diagnosed with COVID-19 who experienced moderate to severe symptoms be seen at least 10 days after their positive test by their primary care provider to be evaluated for any residual effect of the virus. Additionally, children 12 years and older who are involved in high intensity sports should be seen for follow up 10 days following their positive test. This follow up is necessary regardless of symptom severity. If your child has tested positive for COVID-19 please contact our office to schedule a follow up visit.
Testing for COVID-19 - We are able to perform rapid (15 minutes) COVID-19 testing in office. Our appointment availability remains limited so we are asking for patients who are minimally symptomatic and otherwise wouldn't need to be seen by one of our providers to seek testing elsewhere. Testing continues to be available through the Erie County Health Department (716) 858-2929, or the New York State Health Department (1-888-364-3065). Niagara County residents can find information about testing sites through the Niagara County Department of Health website. Due to the high volume of inquiries, we are not providing prescriptions for testing at Urgent Care. Testing is available without a prescription at both KSL diagnostics and Medlab (see below for further details).
RT-PCR testing is available through KSL diagnostics. Diagnostic testing is covered for insured and uninsured patients per the CARES Act. Insurance information will be collected at the test site if the child is covered. A physician’s prescription is recommended to minimize issues with insurance reimbursement, but is not required. No appointment is necessary for testing.
Step-by-step instructions for patients:
Step 1: Click this link for KSL Diagnostics. Step 2: Select "Return to school/prescription COVID RT-PCR testing" Step 3: Select your desired location. (Please be aware that any WNY immediate care location will require a full visit, we recommend not using this location for testing only) Step 4: Register your child for testing. No appointment or physician order is required. Step 5: Parents will receive an email of the report. Reports are generally issued the same day if collected before 1pm.
RT-PCR testing is available through Medlab. No physician order is required and insurance is accepted. To schedule an appointment visit their website or call (716)320-3001. Locations available in Orchard Park or Cheektowaga.
Any patient who tests positive for COVID-19 should review this Health Advisory from the NYS DOH for detailed guidelines on isolation requirements and release from isolation information.
Coronavirus (COVID-19) office procedures
We have implemented many new procedures in the office to ensure the safety of our patients and staff. Below is a list of changes to be aware of should your child need care in the upcoming months.
- Effective 3/1/2022 our waiting room is now open to all patients. Upon arrival you may walk into our office to check in at the front desk. Patients that wish to wait in their vehicle may continue to do so. Please come to the front desk to check in and let the reception staff know you will be returning to your vehicle to wait.
- Until further notice we are not accepting any walk-in patients
- Only children with a scheduled appointment and 1 healthy parent will be permitted in the office
- Providers are available for virtual visits via telephone, video and portal messages. Please speak with one of our staff members for more information about these visits.
- All patients scheduled for a visit are required to have an active patient portal account. Please speak with any of our staff members to obtain access to your child's account.
- We ask that all parents and patients 2 years and older wear a mask at all time while in the office. This includes when alone in the exam room.
- We are seeing all age patients in the office for well visits and are encouraging our patients to stay up to date with their preventive care and immunizations.
- All exam rooms are thoroughly cleaned between each patient.
Return to School Policy
Any child sent home or kept home from school exhibiting symptoms consistent with COVID-19 must remain home from school until they:
Have been fever free (without the use of fever reducers) for >24 hours AND a minimum of 5 days has passed from their onset of symptoms (must wear mask for 5 additions days) OR they have tested negative for COVID-19.
Schools are now accepting home test results. Please speak with your school nurse about documentation requirements.
Prevention is Key! The best way to prevent illness is to avoid being exposed to the virus. However, as a reminder, CDC recommends everyday preventive action to help prevent the spread of respiratory diseases, including:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds or use alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol. Always wash hands with soap and water if hands are visibly dirty
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands
- Stay home when you are sick
- Wear a mask when unable to maintain a safe social distance
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces
NYS Travel Advisory
Asymptomatic travelers entering New York from another country, U.S. state, or territory are no longer required to test or quarantine as of April 10, 2021